4.06.2017

The Punisher (1989) Ghana Movie Posters

Today I wanted to take a moment to spotlight these amazing hand-painted posters from Ghana of one of my all-time favorite movies, The Punisher from 1989. I've been following this art gallery, Deadly Prey Gallery, out of Chicago, IL for some time, but it wasn't until my good friend Jeremie Damoiseau, author of the kickass book Punisher: The Secret History, which chronicles the behind the scenes making of this 80's Dolph Lundgren masterpiece, turned me onto these two incredible images, that I knew they even existed. And now that I see them, my only thought is "How do I get these for my home?".

If you know anything about these Ghanaian movie posters, then you know it's a true art form, and a dying one at that. So when artists from Ghana are still commissioned to turn some of our favorite cult films into hand-painted movie posters, often on two sewn-together rice or flour sacks, it's always a big deal. And as you may or may not know, sometimes they represent the particular film well, and other times it's as if the artist never actually saw the film and painted whatever came into their heads, which is also part of their appeal, am I right?

Deadly Prey Gallery sells every one of their hand-painted Ghanaian movie posters at their gallery and online. They're not cheap, but they're also one-of-a-kind pieces of art that can never be duplicated. When you purchase one, you purchase it knowing you own the one and only one in existence, and that right there is worth every penny.

You can visit their official website HERE.
You can visit their Instagram page HERE.
You can visit their Facebook page HERE.
You can purchase Jeremie Damoiseau's book, Punisher: The Secret History HERE.

59" X 41.5" $1,400 / Artist: Salvation / Contact DeadlyPreyGallery.com for purchase info


I couldn't find any online info on this particular piece

1 comment: